the hamster wheel
All pictures taken with: Zorki 3C and Jupiter 8 50mm f/2.0
Ilford HP5+ souped in Rodinal 1:100 (stand development)
The other day I developed a roll of Tri-X film and thought I’d just skip the fixer test, because it was already late and I was getting tired. Well, I shouldn’t have. The next day I noticed that the roll developed a yellowish tint in the middle, because it hadn’t been fixed properly. Normally this wouldn’t be a big problem, but I only noticed this after I had already cut the film. Shorter film strips are harder to dry and so now I have drying spots on the negatives as well as a couple of spots where the strips stuck together and where the fixer still didn’t reach. Well, at least I learnt a valuable lesson: Test the fixer before fixing and check your rolls in good light before cutting them! Anything else will just create an awful lot of hassle later on.
The pictures I’m posting today are still from the previous roll. I’m really happy with how the grain turned out. Despite a bit of sharpening in post-processing it’s still not a problem. The first couple were shot wide open, so they’re quite soft. In fact the first one is not really terribly sharp, but I think it’s a nice picture anyway.