waiting for the light to change
All pictures taken with: Olympus Pen E-PL3 and Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 ASPH.
Yesterday I spent quite some time taking pictures with the analog equivalent to “no card”. The day before yesterday I thought that the roll wasn’t full yet. Well, what actually happened was that the film ripped at the end of the roll and it seemed to be advancing in a fairly normal manner still. After a while it got clear though that the film just can’t have 50 frames. Lucky me that this roll was precisely the one I was supposed to develop myself – there would have been no way to rewind it to give it to a lab. The whole process of developing is quite crazy by the way, using scissors in complete darkness, messing about with highly toxic chemicals, precise timing required for shaking, stirring and what not. So much fun! The film is now hanging to dry in the lab and I only had a very quick glance at the frames. So far I can only tell you that I was doing alright with my light meter. Since this was my main problem area with the Zorki I’m actually pleased already, no matter what’s actually on the roll.
As you can hear, I got very excited about this mess! And I realised that it would be really easy to do at home as well. My bathroom has no window, so getting it completely dark is very easy indeed and it generally doesn’t need much equipment at all. A developing tank, a couple of reels, some film clips for the drying, some measuring cups and some chemicals, developer, fixer, antistatic. That’s really not much at all. So, last night I ordered a batch of all that. I already have 4 rolls lined up for developing, so I can’t wait to get started!